Untrused self-signed certificate

I just installed the “community edition” IntellJ plugin but it cannot generate test cases. I See a popup warning "The server sent a self-signed certificate which has not been seen before.

Details:
Issuer: CN=verify.diffblue.com,OU=EngOps,O=Diffblue,L=Oxford,ST=OX,C=GB
SHA-1 Hash (or fingerprint): 7b767c438ce7b8e6180ea69a6949d364338d9543

Do you want to save this as a trusted certificate?"

This shows up repeatedly, even after clicking on “Trust Certificate”.

The log in Intellj shows:
4:43 PM All files are up-to-date

4:43 PM Commencing test creation: Analyzing 1 methods in total

4:43 PM Creating tests for method: Lease.isExpired

4:43 PM Cannot generate essential test for isExpired: Unrecoverable runtime error. Please contact Diffblue support.

4:43 PM No tests have been generated: Cover was unable to generate any tests for your selection. Please refer to the documentation for further assistance.

4:43 PM Test creation complete: Created 0 tests in total for 0 methods from 0 source classes

/tmp/diffblue/log/cover-plugin.log contains:
16:43:48.966 [INFO][ApplicationImpl pooled thread 11][c.d.c.p.PreparationTask] Exiting: ClassNotFoundException com.diffblue.cover.preparation.PreparationTask.run()
16:43:48.966 [INFO][ApplicationImpl pooled thread 11][c.d.c.g.p.InvokePhaser] Entering: void com.diffblue.cover.generation.phaser.InvokePhaser.invoke(ClassNotFoundException)

This is for IntelliJ IDEA 2020.2.1 (Community Edition)
Build #IC-202.6948.69, built on August 24, 2020
Runtime version: 11.0.8+10-b944.31 amd64
VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM by JetBrains s.r.o.
Linux 5.8.0-1-amd64
GC: ParNew, ConcurrentMarkSweep
Memory: 1945M
Cores: 8
Non-Bundled Plugins: Key Promoter X, com.github.shyykoserhiy.gfm, DBN, Error-prone plugin, com.diffblue.intellij.cover.plugin, io.codearte.props2yaml, com.intellij.marketplace, org.antlr.intellij.plugin, Docker, com.github.tinselspoon.intellij.kubernetes, org.zalando.intellij.swagger, wu.seal.tool.jsontokotlin, com.vladsch.idea.multimarkdown, org.jetbrains.kotlin, com.google.gct.core, GradleDependenciesHelper, kotlintest-plugin-intellij, zielu.gittoolbox, com.coverity.desktop.idea, cn.bestwu.gdph, org.jetbrains.debugger.streams.kotlin, com.jetbrains.edu
Current Desktop: GNOME

Hi @nkiesel thanks for the report! That’s very strange as we have many users who have installed the plugin successfully. Can I ask a few questions about your setup?

• Is the system clock on your machine correct?
  • What timezone are you in?
  • Are you behind a firewall or prevented from making outgoing connections in some way?

Regards - Andy

Hi @nkiesel just as a follow-up we have investigated a bit more and believe this is because you are behind a firewall. We are looking at ways to make this work for you but are you able to try on an open internet connection?
Kind regards - Andy

System clock is correct (NTP data provided by systemd-timesyn), My timezone is America/Los_Angeles (and also correct). I am connecting from home via a wifi router and a cable modem and these do provide firewalling. However, none of my outgoing connections are limited.

Is there any test I can run locally to confirm your “behind a firewall” theory? (e.g. openssl s_client -connect or curl)

Many thanks for the additional information @nkiesel ! Yesterday we uploaded a newer version to the Intellij marketplace that we think should fix this for you - would you be able to re-download and reinstall?

I just got an DiffBlue update but problem remain even after restart

Many thanks for persevering! This is very surprising, and suggests to us that for some reason the update did not succeed. Could you check what version of Diffblue Cover IntelliJ thinks is installed? This will be shown either in the IntelliJ Preferences -> Diffblue Cover and then the ‘About’ tab in that section of the preferences - you should see a version number beginning with ‘2020.08.c…’ - could you tell us the full version number you see reported?

Somehow the update failed to a point that the plugin was no longer installed. Perhaps my mistake. Anyway, I installed it again (after upgrading to latest IntellJ. The certificate error is gone now.

However, I still cannot generate any tests. log messages are:

3:38 PM Creating tests for method: ProvisioningUtil.stringBuilderNotEmpty
3:38 PM Cannot generate essential test for stringBuilderNotEmpty: Unrecoverable runtime error. Please contact Diffblue support.
3:38 PM No tests have been generated: Cover was unable to generate any tests for your selection. Please refer to the documentation for further assistance.