Failed to start remote test generation service

Hi everyone, I was just trying to execute diffblue but he failed to start.

He gave me this error : Failed to start remote test generation service.

DiffBlue intelliJ plugin version 2020.12.02-eval.2020.2.1

JDK version 1.8 (1.8_261)

Here is the log :

15:13:36.215 [INFO][pool-6-thread-1][c.d.i.p.ui.a] Commencing test creation - Analyzing 6 methods in total
15:13:36.225 [INFO][pool-6-thread-1][c.d.i.p.ui.a] Logfile location - C:\Users\sebas\AppData\Local\Temp\diffblue\log\cover-plugin.log
15:18:50.795 [WARN][ApplicationImpl pooled thread 8][c.d.i.p.ui.a] Failed to start remote test generation service - Please submit an error report with a detailed description of what you were doing before the error
com.diffblue.cover.api.k: Failed to start remote test generation service
at com.diffblue.cover.generation.phaser.InvokeDriver.invoke(SourceFile:169)
at com.diffblue.cover.api.g.b(SourceFile:1294)
at com.diffblue.intellij.plugin.actions.a.run(SourceFile:342)
at com.intellij.openapi.progress.impl.CoreProgressManager$TaskRunnable.run(CoreProgressManager.java:935)
at com.intellij.openapi.progress.impl.CoreProgressManager.lambda$runProcessWithProgressAsync$5(CoreProgressManager.java:442)
at com.intellij.openapi.progress.impl.ProgressRunner.lambda$submit$3(ProgressRunner.java:235)
at com.intellij.openapi.progress.impl.CoreProgressManager.lambda$runProcess$2(CoreProgressManager.java:170)
at com.intellij.openapi.progress.impl.CoreProgressManager.registerIndicatorAndRun(CoreProgressManager.java:629)
at com.intellij.openapi.progress.impl.CoreProgressManager.executeProcessUnderProgress(CoreProgressManager.java:581)
at com.intellij.openapi.progress.impl.ProgressManagerImpl.executeProcessUnderProgress(ProgressManagerImpl.java:60)
at com.intellij.openapi.progress.impl.CoreProgressManager.runProcess(CoreProgressManager.java:157)
at com.intellij.openapi.progress.impl.ProgressRunner.lambda$submit$4(ProgressRunner.java:235)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$AsyncSupply.run(CompletableFuture.java:1700)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$PrivilegedThreadFactory$1$1.run(Executors.java:668)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$PrivilegedThreadFactory$1$1.run(Executors.java:665)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$PrivilegedThreadFactory$1.run(Executors.java:665)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)
Caused by: com.diffblue.cover.service.g: Failed to connect to the analyzer service. Service not responding.
at com.diffblue.cover.service.c.d(SourceFile:343)
at com.diffblue.cover.service.c.a(SourceFile:175)
at com.diffblue.cover.api.b.b.a(SourceFile:159)
at com.diffblue.cover.api.b.f.a(SourceFile:79)
at com.diffblue.cover.generation.phaser.InvokeDriver.a(SourceFile:147)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$AsyncRun.run(CompletableFuture.java:1736)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)
… 1 common frames omitted

Thank you in advance for your help

Sébastien

Hi Sébastien,

Thanks for getting in touch - you have certainly stumbled across something unfortunate here

May I ask what version of IntelliJ you are using?

Thanks again, we will get this sorted for you ASAP

Matt @ Diffblue

Hi Matt, thanks for your support.

I use IntelliJ Ultimate edition 2020.2.4

Sebastien

Hi Sébastien,

Many thanks for reporting that log, that is very helpful. There is also another log file which might contain useful information, known as the ‘cover-server.log’ which should be in this location for you:
C:\Users\sebas\AppData\Local\Temp\diffblue\log\cover-server.log Could show us the content of that log file? Do you run any kind of firewall on your system that blocks IP connections on the loopback addresses (127.0.0.1 for IPv4 or ::1 for IPv6) ? Or any other system policy settings that might do that?

Hopefully with that information we should be able to resolve this for you,
Chris.

Hi Chris, thanks for your help,

here is the log of cover-server :
15:13:39.057 [INFO][main][c.d.c.s.a.a.b] Starting new remote monitor client

I have windows defender and bitdefender antivirus

I turn them off but i get the same result.

I also tried to restore the hosts file but it still doesn’t work

Seb

Thanks for the extra log information Sébastien. We have not yet been able to reproduce this problem at our end yet, so we are going to add some additional detailed logging into the next release (which will be version 2021.01.01) . We’d be really grateful if you could test it again once it is released!

Thanks for your reply Chris, I would be happy to use it.
Do you have a planned date for this release?

Thanks Seb, this would be greatly appreciated

The release is due to be out on Wednesday (we generally release every 2 weeks) - we will post here when it has gone live on the JetBrains AppStore

Thank you once again for your help, as I am sure you are aware these sorts of issues are mega important for us to fix but also mega hard to track down, your help is really appreciated here

Chris or I will be in touch soon

Thanks

Matthew
Head of Product @ Diffblue

Hi everyone,

I update my plugin and I always have the same issue

Here my cover-plugin.log :

17:59:02.716 [INFO][ApplicationImpl pooled thread 19][c.d.i.store.f] Converting index to a supported format and re-indexing; this may take some time.
17:59:09.530 [INFO][ApplicationImpl pooled thread 11][c.d.i.store.f] Converting index to a supported format and re-indexing; this may take some time.
18:10:56.011 [INFO][pool-10-thread-1][c.d.c.api.b.b]
18:10:56.011 [INFO][pool-10-thread-1][c.d.c.api.b.b] Creating tests:
18:10:56.011 [INFO][pool-10-thread-1][c.d.c.api.b.b] ---------------
18:10:56.026 [INFO][pool-10-thread-1][c.d.i.p.ui.a] Commencing test creation - Analyzing 3 methods in total
18:10:56.066 [INFO][pool-10-thread-1][c.d.i.p.ui.a] Logfile location - C:\Users\sebas\AppData\Local\Temp\diffblue\log\cover-plugin.log
18:16:23.909 [WARN][ApplicationImpl pooled thread 41][c.d.i.p.ui.a] Failed to start remote test generation service - Please submit an error report with a detailed description of what you were doing before the error
com.diffblue.cover.api.l: Failed to start remote test generation service
at com.diffblue.cover.generation.phaser.InvokeDriver.invoke(SourceFile:169)
at com.diffblue.cover.api.h.b(SourceFile:1294)
at com.diffblue.intellij.plugin.actions.a.run(SourceFile:343)
at com.intellij.openapi.progress.impl.CoreProgressManager$TaskRunnable.run(CoreProgressManager.java:962)
at com.intellij.openapi.progress.impl.CoreProgressManager.lambda$runProcessWithProgressAsync$5(CoreProgressManager.java:472)
at com.intellij.openapi.progress.impl.ProgressRunner.lambda$submit$3(ProgressRunner.java:235)
at com.intellij.openapi.progress.impl.CoreProgressManager.lambda$runProcess$2(CoreProgressManager.java:178)
at com.intellij.openapi.progress.impl.CoreProgressManager.registerIndicatorAndRun(CoreProgressManager.java:658)
at com.intellij.openapi.progress.impl.CoreProgressManager.executeProcessUnderProgress(CoreProgressManager.java:610)
at com.intellij.openapi.progress.impl.ProgressManagerImpl.executeProcessUnderProgress(ProgressManagerImpl.java:65)
at com.intellij.openapi.progress.impl.CoreProgressManager.runProcess(CoreProgressManager.java:165)
at com.intellij.openapi.progress.impl.ProgressRunner.lambda$submit$4(ProgressRunner.java:235)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$AsyncSupply.run(CompletableFuture.java:1700)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$PrivilegedThreadFactory$1$1.run(Executors.java:668)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$PrivilegedThreadFactory$1$1.run(Executors.java:665)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$PrivilegedThreadFactory$1.run(Executors.java:665)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:834)
Caused by: com.diffblue.cover.service.g: Failed to connect to the analyzer service. Service not responding.
at com.diffblue.cover.service.c.d(SourceFile:343)
at com.diffblue.cover.service.c.a(SourceFile:175)
at com.diffblue.cover.api.b.b.a(SourceFile:159)
at com.diffblue.cover.api.b.e.a(SourceFile:97)
at com.diffblue.cover.generation.phaser.InvokeDriver.a(SourceFile:147)
at java.base/java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$AsyncRun.run(CompletableFuture.java:1736)
… 1 common frames omitted

And my cover-server.log :

18:10:59.440 [INFO][main][c.d.c.s.a.a.b] Starting new remote monitor client

Thank you for your help

Many thanks for trying this out Sébastien - I’ve sent you a Private Message so that we can try some additional diagnostics. We really appreciate your patience and engagement on this issue because we’d love to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks again,
Chris

Hi Sébastien - thanks for the extra logs you sent me via email. We are still working to track this down, but we have some clues now. In your private communications you mentioned that the Diffblue Cover was working for you on one of your computers, but not this particular computer. Out of interest, is this computer where it does not work slower, or more heavily loaded with tasks than the computer where it does work?

Many thanks for all you help with this - we really appreciate the feedback!
Chris

Hi Sébastien,

Thanks to the information you’ve provided we’ve been able to find a few places where we may have been too aggressive with some timeouts and have now made some adjustments. These adjustments will be incorporated into our next release, 2021.02.01, which is scheduled for release in the first week of February. Once that release is available, could you please upgrade and try again?

Many thanks,
Chris.

Hello Guys , i m also facing this issue.

17-Jul-21
11:49 AM Diffblue Cover: Using existing run configuration

11:49 AM Diffblue Cover indexing in progress: Tests will be automatically written when the Diffblue Cover indexes are updated

11:49 AM Commencing test creation: Analyzing 2 methods in total

11:49 AM Logfile location: C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Temp\diffblue\log\cover-plugin.log

11:49 AM Diffblue Cover encountered an error while writing tests: Failed to start remote test generation service

Any help ?

Hi Ravi - I’m sorry to hear you’ve encountered this error! Could you tell me what version of Cover you are using, and what version of IntelliJ you are using? If it is at all possible, could you also share the content of the C:\Users\myname\AppData\Local\Temp\diffblue\log\cover-plugin.log file with us - the log file should offer us some clues.

Best wishes,
Chris.

Hi Chrryd,
I am using intellij 2021.1.3 (community edision)
Diffblue 2021.07.01-eval2021.1
Attached log

cover-plugin.log (18.7 KB)

Hi Ravi,

Many thanks for the information, and especially the log file. This error seems to be happening because the java command run in the background is exiting with an exit code of ‘1’ - meaning an error happened. This exit code comes from the JVM itself, not from Diffblue code. Could you run the command: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.8.0_291\bin\java.exe -version and let me know the output? Also, do you have more than one JDK installed on your machine? And if so, what is JAVA_HOME set to?

Many thanks!
Chris.

Hi Chris,
This is the java version after running the above command.
java version “1.8.0_291”
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_291-b10)
Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 25.291-b10, mixed mode, sharing)

Also i don’t have multiple jdk in my system . Java home is set to this same jdk.

Hi Ravi - many thanks for that extra information. We are trying to reproduce this error in our test environment at the moment, and I’ll get back to you when we either manage to reproduce this, or if we need further information.

Many thanks!
Chris.

Hi Ravi - We noticed that it looks like you are using a 32-bit JVM 1.8, on a 64-bit Windows system. We’ve been able to reproduce a similar failure mode in our test environment in this mixed 32/64-bit setup. Would you be able to try installing a 64-bit version of the JDK (JDK8 or JDK11) and set JAVA_HOME appropriately, and then restart IntelliJ and try again?

Many thanks,
Chris.